1000 g beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
10 clove of garlic
7 cm ginger
500 ml water
100 g red chilies
1 teaspoon white pepper
7 cm galangal, crushed
3 stalk of lemongrass, crushed the white part
5 lime leaf
3 star anise
3 bay leaf
2 turmeric leaf, tear into pieces
A bit of tamarind
Salt and sugar
1 1/3 cups shredded coconut
2 cup of coconut milk
1. Blend the shallot, garlic, ginger, red chilies, white pepper in the food processor, add some water if needed.
2. Fry the shallot paste in a little oil until the aroma comes out.
3. Add some water and the beef. Let shimmer for a while until the water I almost completely dry.
4. Pour the coconut and add galangal, lemongrass, leaf, star anise, bay leaf, turmeric leaf, tamarind, salt and sugar.
5. Stir continuously until the coconut milk is boiling.
6. Lower the heat, let simmer until it become oily.
7. Add the shredded coconut.
8. Continue to stir and cook until almost all the liquid is gone.
9. Serve with rice.