500 g brisket, cubed 5x 5 cm
100 thick coconut milk
2 garlic clove
1 bay leaf
1 stalk of lemongrass, crushed the white part
A bit of tamarind
30 g palm sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1. Boil the brisket with the water until partly cooked and pound with meat hammer until partly ender, keep the broth.
2. Blend the shallot, garlic, and palm sugar in a food processor add some water if needed.
3. Boil the spice paste with the brisket’s broth and coconut milk, keep stirring until it is boiling.
4. Add the salt, tamarind, bay leaf, and lemongrass.
5. Add the brisket.
6. Boil the meat until it is thoroughly tender.
7. Fry until it is golden.
8. Serve over rice, usually with East Java style beef soup or vegetable soup.