Lamb tongseng is one the special delicacy in Indonesia and can be found around Yogyakarta, Solo and many other area in central Java.
The name Tongseng originated from utensils used to cook with, it is made in a Tong (crock pot) and ‘seng’ is sound of the cooking utensils made against the pot when making it. The main ingredients are lamb and vegetable, and it’s super delicious.
Pro tip : Wash lamb with water and pineapple grate to reduce it’s gamy smell.
- 250 g dice cutted lamb
- 6 onion cloves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 red chilies
- 3 bird’s eye chilies
- 0.5 tbsp white pepper
- 2 lime leaves, cut into small pieces
- 1 lemon grass
- 1 ginger
- 1 tbsp salt
- 0.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking oil to fry
- 3 glass of water
Add on vegetables
- 2 spring onion, cut to small pieces
- 3 cabbage leaves, cut to small pieces
- 2 tomatoes, dice cut
- Heat 2 table spoon of cooking oil in a frying pan, then pour in all blended seasoning
- Stir fry for 2 minutes until it smells good, then put lamb into it
- When lamb already mixed with all the seasoning, pour in 2 glass of water. Leave it until the water soak in to meat, until there are only approximately half a glass of water left in the pan.
- Put all vegetables in to the pan. Stir a little bit.
- Serve with fried onion